TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Saturday, April 28, 2007

April Showers

Well, it did rain this week and if anyone can tell me how to convince a dog it is ok to go outside and pee in the rain, I'd be eternally grateful.

But this post is more about the "when it rains, it pours" phenomenon. And, warning, its a bit of a downer.

The month of April is hard for me because of the loss of Isaiah in 1997. He was buried on the 30th, my birthday.

A year later, my best friend Sherri lost her husband Rodney. We were both five months pregnant with our third children.

This April, the tragedy at Virginia Tech saddened me beyond description. I think it hit me so hard because we are now Virginians and people from our community lost loved ones.

But look, a lot of horrible things have happened in the month of April:
1968, April 4, MLK assassination.
1974, April 3-4, tornado outbreak including an F5 tornado in Indiana.
1986, April 26, Chernobyl nuclear accident
1992, April 29, LA Riots after the Rodney King verdict.
1993, April 19, the Branch Dividian siege.
1995, April 19, the Oklahoma City bombing.
1999, April 20, the school shooting at Columbine.

Plus, the sinking of the Titanic, the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Both the American Revolutionary and Civil War wars began in April.

No wonder I hate April. I won't even start on the "why" did this happen stuff.
But, you know, bad things happen all the time. I'm just sensitive this month. And it is time to move on with a positive outlook. Look at Sherri! She's now a single mom to three - drama practice, choir practice, birthday parties and EEEK dating.

I can't promise I'll be ok on Monday. But next year, its not going to get me down. Everything happens for a reason.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jer 29:11 (NIV)

or, from the translation The Message
"This is God's Word on the subject: ... I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for."

I like that. He knows what He's doing.
I don't need to know why.
I'll just ask Him when I get There.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger La- said...

HUGS sweetie!! Miss ya!

La-

4/29/2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger ~Holly~ said...

Hugs to you Tonya!!
April was a downer month here too--Just to much sad stuff going on! :(

Here is to a happier May :)

4/30/2007 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning my sweet... bet you;re glad to have got April out of the way ... hope your birthday was a wonderful one... thinking of you XX

5/01/2007 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home