TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Thursday, April 03, 2014

American and O'Hare and me - the Devil's Triangle

Remember when I swore I'd never fly American Airlines EVER AGAIN? Well, apparently I didn't.

My new job (still at the same firm, but a teaching position) requires me to travel every other week to Chicago*. We have a training center right at O'Hare. So I HAVE to fly to O'Hare and Delta doesn't go there direct. So, do I take a 50 min direct flight on American, or do I take four hours of my life to fly through Detroit (and that damn creepy tunnel)?

You know what I did. I booked my first two trips on American. Now at some point in the last couple of months, American tried to woo me away from Delta with Platinum status. Didn't work. But it is handy now that I have a flight. Priority boarding and free checked bags. w00t!

And here I am on trip number one. Canceled. In a 112 degree airport. With no power outlets. And a dead phone battery. And some really bad-fellow-traveler-behavior.

They told us at the departure time they'd have an update in 20 minutes on our mechanical issue. Then in 18 minutes, the board just changed to cancelled. Nice move, jerks.

I was really nice to a gate agent, so I got a hotel and $19 in food vouchers. I was also miraculously booked on the 9:40am flight, even though she told the kids in front of me everything was oversold until 4:50pm. I guess that's what Platinum status gets ya. Or not. The lady who just sat next to me was told since it was due to weather, they couldn't give her a hotel or food. Whaaaaaaaaa?

Now I'm waiting for them to pull my bag (when do I EVER check a bag? NEVER. Except this time. Gaah! It was free though), which will take an hour. Luckily, I packed an extra day of meds (seriously. If you've been following Facebook this week, you know I've been battling unusual migraines). I also have my Reeboks, which will be necessary since the hotel shuttle is a mile walk through this place. And pajama pants. I might just wear those tomorrow. On the plane.

Speaking of tomorrow. I have a web-based class at 11. Meaning, I'm TEACHING a web-based class at 11. I arrive at Evansville Regional at 10:45. Gonna be close.

American, O'Hare, and the Devil. Bastards.


*Yep, I said every OTHER week. I'll have day trips here and there, plus the occasional week in Orlando at Disney World (teehee) but mostly I'll be HOME EVERY OTHER WEEK Can I get a hallelujah?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home