TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Yes, I am rich.

People who only know me through the internet, especially on Facebook, see my posts about business trips each week. If that's how you know me, you must have an odd picture of my life. I complain about flight delays and that creepy tunnel at the Detroit airport, worship Starbucks skinny vanilla lattes, and make connecting flights like OJ Simpson (by running through an airport, not knifing my spouse, for those of you younger folks). I'm always angling for First Class, and I do enjoy a Bloody Mary. I'm only a couple of segments away from Diamond Medallion, the top tier Delta frequent flier program, where I'll have complementary access to the Sky Club lounge with free wi-fi, drinks, and snacks. I also stay in top-level hotel rooms - Westin, Hilton, Marriott - and frequent their lounges with free breakfast, snacks, and drinks. Most folks I work with have never stayed in a Best Western, Holiday Inn or Motel 6. I'm actually just a few stays away from getting an SPG (Westin brand) Ambassador - an individual assigned to me to manage my hotel reservations and make all my travel problems go away. Next week in Atlanta, I have a suite at the W Midtown, with a parlor, living room, and bedroom. Pretty chic, eh?

I've also been to some really cool places -- DC, LA, Seattle, Chicago, Sacramento, last week it was New York City. On Monday night, our Partner joined us and took us to dinner. In the eight weeks we've been on the project, I've only seen him once, so he wanted to get together with the team. We went to a very expensive restaurant, Jean Georges in the Trump Tower, and had a seven course meal, beginning with Champagne and caviar and ending with petite fours and cappuccino. It was outrageously expensive, but he'd won a contest and had extra money in his 'connectivity' budget. We were the lucky recipients. Wow. Small town girl made it big, huh?
Next week, Mike and I are headed to Jamaica to stay at an all-inclusive resort (our third year in a row) for 8 nights. (Note to thieves, the house will not be unattended and the new puppy eats anything in sight, so don't even think about it). For Aly's birthday, Mike and Aly spent several days sightseeing in NYC. We like to take weekend trips to go shopping. We have seven(!) animals and two cars. We live in a huge house. Aly goes to private school.

Man, I must be rich, right?

Well, remember this.
Every week from 5am Monday to 10pm Thursday (at least), I am away from my husband, my teen daughter, chemistry homework, drama, and angst, my son, my nieces' and nephews' recitals/ball games/etc, my mom's chemo treatments, my dad's job search, my kitty, my other animals, my friends and family (and favorite cousin), my scrapbook buddies, my hubby's play rehearsals, my waterbed, my electric toothbrush, and the list goes on. Sometimes I have to travel on Sunday and/or Friday, like I did to California. And all that travel isn't Bloody Marys and lattes. Have you ever tried to eat healthy in an airport? Have you tried to dress nicely for a client meeting, but then cram yourself (and your purse, computer, mouse, phone, power adapters, headset, notebook, and office supplies) into a 17" wide seat with less than an arm's length to the seat in front of you? Do you like sitting within inches of a complete stranger for hours at a time? Can you plan your wardrobe for the week down to the earrings and not forget anything? How long does one of those TSA-friendly travel toothpaste tubes last? Do you want to spend breakfast, lunch, and dinner with your co-workers three days a week? Can you sleep on a different bed every week? Can you sleep at all without your own pillow? You might think I'm lucky to stay in fancy hotels and travel every week. I count myself lucky if I am home on Friday.

On Fridays, I usually am at home, but I have to work a full day, often on calls for hours at a time. But I also have to schedule doctor visits and dental appointments on those days (which is tough, since my family doc is off on Fridays). Over the weekend I take care of the pharmacy refills, shopping (at thrift stores), errands, and seeing friends and family (showers, parties, weddings, birthdays). Gosh, I should find a local job. Yes, I've tried that. With interviews on Fridays between conference calls and other errands. But it is hard to find a job at en executive level in healthcare, and I've never found anyone who can match the salary or the perks -- We go on vacation via the hundreds of thousands of airline miles and hotel points. I buy gift cards for Christmas with my employer's 'stay healthy' rewards. I get a 23% discount on our cell phone bill. I'm reimbursed for any out of pocket travel expenses (never more than $50 or so per week) and my mileage to the airport. My firm also pays me for sick time for family members, so I don't 'lose time' when I can go to a doctor's appointment with my mom.

We have what we have because we have scrimped and saved to pay off our bills. We don't have credit cards. We have what we have because I sacrifice time away from "life" to do my job. And I can only do the job I do because my husband, between driving my daughter to school, cooking, shopping, writing and directing plays, volunteering his time, walking the dogs, and keeping the couch from being eaten by the puppy, supports me in my job. Others may think he's got it easy, but his job is harder than mine. Every day he tells me I'm a rock star. He encourages me to shine. He helps me work out my problems. He reminds me that someday, we'll leave this crazy life and live in a little cabin in the woods with our animals.

We couldn't have what we have if I didn't work so hard. And I couldn't work so hard if I didn't have him.

And so, yes. I am rich.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home