TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Well, here we are again, in April

It has been the weirdest week on record, full of sadness, horror, fright.
Y'all know (even though I haven't blogged in months) that the month of April isn't my favorite. Bad things happen. And as if to prove my point, here was the week
Sunday - I had to fly to OKC a day early. I've been going there since mid-December, but this is one of the few times I've had to go on a Sunday. Besides last week.
Monday - The Boston Marathon bombings. I got the alert on my phone but didn't realize the magnitude of the event until I watched the news that night.
Tuesday - earthquakes. In OKC. I slept right through them.
Wednesday - OKC weather is seriously worse than Indiana. In the 70s earlier in the week, but Wednesday we had severe thunderstorms, a tornado warning and the temperature dropped to the 40s. We left work early (at 5:30) to get to the hotel before the really bad weather but were stopped by police. The street was on lockdown because of a 'suspicious item.'
Thursday - what has come to be known as Flyday. Yay. Except I didn't get upgraded to first class (yeah, yeah, #firstworldproblem, I know) but our plane was struck by lightning. Scary. Then, due to weather, I was three hours late. Home at 11pm. In time for...
Friday - a 7am conference call. Hey, at least it wasn't as bad as last week when my flight through Atlanta didn't get me home till 3am Friday.

And speaking of, "at least it wasn't as bad as...."

I'm proud to be an American, but for crying out loud, we are a spoiled, selfish crew.

Working on Sunday? At least I'm not in the fields working for food instead of pay. At least I have the right to worship as I choose.
Bombings? That is a way of life for some parts of the world. And they don't always have a government or law enforcement to protect them, or find the perpetrators.
Earthquakes? It didn't even wake me up. Remember Mexico City? The tsunami on the day after Christmas?
Bad weather? A little lightning was actually a beautiful show. Many have been devastated by floods and tornadoes.

So yeah, I hate April, and sometimes I get caught up in me and how bad things happen. But it is more sad to me that there is such a hashtag for #firstworldproblems when parts of the third world don't have clean water. My last rant -- errr, post -- was after the Sandy Hook shooting. I said we all need to do something.

I wonder if anyone has.
Have I?


Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you for braving April :)

4/20/2013 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home