TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday: Seasick in Paradise

Tuesday dawned bright and beautiful with yet another lovely breakfast with my husband. This is unique, really, because the man doesn't care for breakfast foods, so while I had eggs, bacon, pastries, and corned beef hash (just like Momma used to make), he was a fruit and smoked salmon kinda guy. As a matter of fact, this morning I not only ate all you see, but took a cream cheese bagel to go, knowing we were going snorkeling later. I didn't want to eat a big lunch before swimming. Which was a good thing. And you'll see why in a moment.

So, I found a quiet spot on the Italian beach and made my own little slice of paradise. Many of these types of huts were reserved for folks who paid for "butler service" (yes, actual English-trained butlers to do their bidding), but I found one to myself and commandeered both seats, one in the sun, one not, for a few hours of reading.


When it was time to snorkel, I went back to the room to meet Mike, but he never appeared. And this man is NEVER late to anything. So I was a little worried he'd already gone missing in the tropics, and my plan was ahead of schedule, but I found him hanging out on one of the couches between the bar and the beach. I'm not sure why I was worried. Nothing EVER starts on time in Jamaica ... "no worries"

If you are paying attention to detail, you noted the title of this post and the previous reference to that cream cheese bagel, and you know how this is going to end. When Mike and I snorkeled in St Lucia, we had a rainy, choppy boat ride to a beautiful, calm, sunny cove with a zillion fish. This time we had a beautiful boat ride to the reef just off the shore of the resort and had low visibility, choppy seas, and dangerously shallow waters. I did not like it, not one little bit, and we both returned early to the boat. While we waited for the others to join us, I got increasingly ill. No more details.  We headed back to the room for a cool washcloth and some ginger ale (hey, when I said our fridge was stocked, I didn't just mean with alcohol). In fact, Mike mentioned to our housekeeper that I was sick and when I awoke, there was a plate of toast and fruit on the bed.

Feeling much better, we dressed for dinner at the seafood restaurant, Neptunes, and spent a while lying on a couch under the stars. The Cafe de Paris serves a delicious cheesecake, and Mike's favorite cookies, but our regular barista wasn't in so the hot chocolate and latte weren't the best. More star gazing in lounge chairs on the French beach and we made it an early night.

Even being seasick in paradise is ok. I've nearly forgotten all about it. This is what I remember....



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember the happy things :)

11/29/2012 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's a little sickness compared to jamaica?

11/29/2012 5:28 PM  
Anonymous Bali Hotels said...

Thanks for this post, i love it

12/05/2012 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home