TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Grumpy Smurf

Do you remember the smurfs? Those little blue guys with the white hats on Saturday morning cartoons. I remember Jokey and Sleepy and, of course, Papa Smurf. But mostly I remember Grumpy Smurf. He was the one that said "I hate ..." everything. Lately, I've been a Grumpy Smurf. Maybe it is because Aly has been sick. Maybe I just missed Mike too much when he was gone this weekend. Maybe the freezing cold and the snow are making me ooky. I've been sick too, since last Wednesday night - today it is the start of a sore throat. Regardless of the reason, I've been a grumpy smurf, at home and at work. I have little patience. Snarky comments blurt out of my mouth if I don't bite my tongue. I've likely been impossible to live with.
Then yesterday, someone said (online), "are you ok, you've seemed down lately" and it hit me. I'm depressed. I haven't wanted to get out of bed. I've had headaches and backaches. I don't even want to eat. Hello! Something's definitely wrong here. So, you know that commercial that asks "Where does depression hurt?". Well, it is a picture of my life for the past week.
Depression can hurt everywhere — both emotionally and physically. Someone with depression might think or say any of the following:
"I feel sad all the time."
"I just don't feel like myself."
"I don't enjoy being with my friends or doing any of the things I usually love to do."
"I feel completely overwhelmed by my life. I can't see a way out."
"I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately."
"I keep having aches and pains, and I don't know why."
Depression is not just a temporary mood, and it's not a sign of personal weakness. People with depression can experience a variety of emotional and physical symptoms.
For some people, it's a matter of feeling sad, overwhelmed, or stressed out. For others, aches, pains, fatigue, and other physical problems are part of their depression too. In fact, research suggests that about two-thirds of people diagnosed with depression talk to their family doctors first about physical symptoms.

So, here I am, for all the world to see, admitting that I've slipped into depression. I am not doing this for the 'awww, feel better!" comments either. I am posting this for two reasons: first, to force myself out of it. Just like this morning when I forced myself out of bed, out of my pajamas, and later today, out of the house. The other reason is so that if you've felt this way, you know it's not in your head. It's not 'just a bad week'. And that you have to work to get out of it -- it won't just go away.
So, I'm working on it now. I'll pull out of it, like I have before. It isn't easy. In fact, there are some schools of thought that true depression can only be helped by medication. That is not true for me. I have been clinically depressed and I have come through it without medication (I've also had episodes that did require medication). I just hope that if you've felt this way, you'll talk to someone. That you'll get help, maybe even meds. I'm going to. I don't want to be a grumpy smurf. That doesn't mean I won't still have some snarky comments though. :)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Yvette Pupo-Heredia said...

Oh, Tonya.....Feel better, you've had alot to deal with the last couple of months. Sending you lots of cyber HUGS!!

2/08/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger .jessica jo. said...

((((HUGS))). Its good to get feelings out, it helps us deal with it. I been there and got myself out of it too. Hang in there sweetie............WE LOVEEEE YOU!!! :)

2/08/2007 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww boogs. I'm so proud of you. Life is too short to be grumpy smurf. You are so brave. I can't wait to see you again!

Can I get a WOOT WOOT!?

2/08/2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger ~Holly~ said...

I've been there! We are all here to cheer you up Tonya--- lean on us and let us know if you need anything!!

You are in my prayers--Hugs and Love to you! XOXOXOXO

2/08/2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gosh if only i had something really funny to tell you, bet i could find you some dirty jokes LOL!

i will tell you that you are a brave woman to go it without the meds - i look forward to that day...when i try to go no meds, tequila just looks better and better, LOL! hang in there chica -you have the right attitude to get better, and that's a huge step...big hugs sistah!

~shawna

2/09/2007 4:16 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Just had to admit that to myself as well and added a new med to my pharmacy.

2/11/2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger La- said...

Snarky comments are good... feeling this way is not! You are so right that the best way out is to force yourself- now saying that and DOING it are two different things... trust me I KNOW where you are at right now. Get up and get going... I will come here and challenge you... come challenge me too! LOL HUGS!!

2/11/2007 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you and support you no matter what...it is great, all the comments/support you are receiving, and I hope you know that I love and support you, too...you are my best friend and my soulmate, and I love you and am here for you...even if I can't do anything to help I will try, and I love you...MOST!!!!!!!!!!

me

2/12/2007 10:35 PM  
Blogger Perri said...

tonya - praying for you to overcome this. I was reading another blog tonight and she talked about depression also. Thought some of the verses she used might be of help. If you want, you can read it at
http://livinglearningandlovingsimply.blogspot.com/2007/02/hope-for-depression.html

2/13/2007 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huggle snuggles Tonya... depression is one of those invisible to the rest of the world illnesses - but real shite when it hits you... I feel your pain... love and thinking of you xx

2/13/2007 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home