TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Commutageddon

Last year President Obama dubbed the February DC snowstorm "Snowmageddon." This year the local news called it "Sn-oh Em Gee." I like Commutageddon.
Yesterday, I was working late to be sure my proposal made it in on time. The office (and the Federal Government) closed at 3:30 due to an impending storm. It started sleeting at 3:30 and snowing heavily at 4:00. I found it amusing that Virginians freak out over a little snow, although it was nearly impossible to see the road from my 6th floor window. I later learned snow was falling at 2” per hour. When I finally left at 5:00, the roads were awful and traffic was at a complete standstill. The Westin shuttle couldn’t make it out of the parking lot, and I couldn’t get through to a cab company, so I walked over to the Ritz, hoping to catch a cab there. During my two hour wait at the Ritz (which was, of course, sold out), the valets brought me a chair to sit in, bottled water, and hot tea. I seriously considered walking over to Macy's and buying snow boots to make the trek on foot. Folks were appearing at the Ritz covered in snow and freezing after walking a few blocks, so I decided een the lure of new boots wasn't worth it.
Finally a cab arrived, at the same time as a co-worker from Boston, also headed to the Westin. Another fellow joined us, as he was going to the Marriott, which wasn’t far from the Westin. After two hours in the cab, we had only gone 1.5 miles and were still a block and a half downhill from the Tysons Marriott. The cab couldn’t make it up the hill, so we triple tipped the driver and trudged up the hill. In 5” of snow and ice. Carrying my computer bag. Wearing 3” suede heels. After catching my breath at the Marriott, a coworker’s husband drove us the mile to the Westin, which took yet another two hours, but at least no hills were involved. I arrived at my room at 11:00, six hours after my adventure started.
There was no way I was going out today, though most of the roads were clear. I'm glad I didn't. A co-worker sent me a note to say the shuttle ride to the office took 50 minutes (instead of 7). Thankfully, I was not involved in any of the dozens of accidents, nor was I trapped in a vehicle overnight. Flights tomorrow should be on time, so I'll get a full weekend at home. Before I come back on Monday. I will be checking next week's weather for sure.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Betty and Wilma said...

oh, i miss boston. I lived in Avon and commuted to Cambridge for 9 years. Anyway, thanks for the read! See you around!

1/31/2011 1:27 PM  
Anonymous One Way Truck Rental said...

Great Blog... Love it..

3/09/2011 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home