TOP LABELS

Aly, Zak, family, faith, musings, photos, scrap, travel, rants

Sunday, August 05, 2012

Only two weeks left

Two years ago, I started a blog post titled "The Week that Doesn't Exist." It is actually a blog post that doesn't exist, because I couldn't force myself to finish it. It was too emotional for me. You see, Aly was going to a boarding school in St. Louis for the 8th grade and I had a horrible feeling about it. Chalking it up to mommy nerves, or empty nest syndrome, or whatever you want to call it, I went through with it. I drove my child three hours away and moved her into a dorm on a tiny campus and trusted her teachers and advisor to care for her. After a horrific six weeks of homesickness, roommate issues, bullying, theft, and inaction* on the part of the school, we made the trip to bring Aly home. *Yeah, I didn't post that blog entry either. She was a victim of bullying for weeks and afraid to tell us, because she told her advisor and nothing stopped. She was blackballed by her roommates, stolen from, accused of racism.... horrible things. And when I finally called the Head of School, he called me back two days later, sorry for the delay but the accreditation folks had been on site. Yeah, that bad. Aly then attended the local Middle School for a few weeks, but that was working either (since she was at least two years ahead academically). So, since then, we've homeschooled her. This year, her freshman year, we used an online curriculum that was less than stellar. All in all, my bright, funny, uber-intelligent little girl nearly wasted two years of her (learning) life because I didn't listen to my gut. I can say in the last two years, Aly has grown tremendously, into a beautiful, hilarious young lady. And we're giving it another try. The Webb School in Bell Buckle, TN (home of the RC Cola & Moon Pie Festival) has a completely different feel, communicative staff, and an oustanding reputation. Aly said for the first time in her life, she wishes there wasn't a summer, so she could start school. I feel the same way. Webb will be so good for her, socially and intellectually. Our family is making great sacrifices to get her there (even a 50% scholarship leaves a HUGE balance, plus books, uniforms, new sheets :) ) but it is all worth it. This time I feel like it is right. It is the right place for her to be. And, so, while I'll miss her (and will likely cry at the drop of a hat over the next two weeks), I'm so proud of her and can't wait to see what fabulous things she will do over the next four years. Oh, and their mascot is ... and I am NOT making this up ... The Feet. So, GO WEBB FEET!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home